CAREER POSSIBILITIES IN SOCIOLOGY
The conversation usually goes something like this…
“What are you going to study? What are you going to do with that major?”
We know that in any college commitment, the outcome is vital, so we help you build versatile skills that will make you marketable, hirable, and secure. We’ll help you discover your passion. So you can let your curiosity move you.
The versatility of a sociology major sends our graduates into many different fields of employment. Sociological training is particularly relevant in careers needing persons with skills in:
- Creative problem solving
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Effective written and oral communication
- Making meaning out of data and complex information
- Understanding social and cultural differences
Career Paths and Sociology Coursework
- Agencies dealing with criminal justice, probation, and corrections seek applicants with coursework in crime and deviance.
- Courses in family sociology prepare students for careers in human and family services, social work, and counseling.
- Courses focused on health, well-being, and health care are beneficial for those in medicine, nursing, public health, and related fields.
- Research methods courses prepare students for occupations typically found in businesses, research organizations, and government agencies involving data collection and analysis, program evaluations, and marketing.
- Non-profit organizations, human resources departments, and government agencies addressing social issues seek employees with an understanding of social inequalities.
- Sociology also provides useful pre-professional training for a number of advanced-degree programs, including law, health and allied-fields, business, and counseling.
UNL students may earn credit in sociology through an internship with a public or private agency in Nebraska. These internships provide on-the-job experiences in human services, policy, research and management and help to relate this work to the academic program. An internship also helps to build a resume for future employment.